Saturday 8 September 2012

Liverpudlian Gallivanting


 



Me and my mum went on an adventure to Liverpool and it was very enjoyable. Some snazzy menus in a docks restaurant had us deeply discussing who we would go on a meal with - I chose Anthony Keidis as I feel we would get on very well and indulge in falafel burgers and deep, crazy life discussions then go dancing to hip hop and ramble in the countryside or something spectacular like that. We also spent some glorious time in the Tate gallery, where I think I had my favourite 'art moment' seeing real proper pieces by Lucian Freud, Salvador Dali, Andy Warhol, Philip Treacy and most importantly, Eduardo Paolozzi. My Goodness, it was amazing! There were so many incredible pieces by some of my favourite artists, I left feeling all lucky and inspired and joyful. After wandering round in the lovely sun and trying to listen to as many beautiful Liverpudlian accents as we could, we then went to what I'd been looking forward to most; Antony Gormley's Another Place. It was even more wonderful than I expected, I completely love him.






What I love most about these sculptures is the familiarity of the human build, we recognise the structure of a body and react to it intimately, the way we would a human - hand holding, hugging, piggybacks. I'm not saying you go and jump on anyone in the street just cause they're a human man, but I mean in terms of exploring the sculpture. Through creating a shape we are all aware of, our experience with the art piece is more personal as we are seeing something we know become reinterpreted and exposed to the environment humans live in, not just a studio or an exhibition hall. Outdoors the sculptures coexist with living men in the world they know, bringing art inescapably into the public.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment